This post may contain affiliate links, which helps us to continue providing relevant content and we receive a small commission at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read the full disclosure here.
People love saving challenges to earn. So, we are going to layout some of the ways you can do the 200 envelope challenge.
In case you have not heard, the 100 day envelope challenge originating from TikTok has taken off!
Let’s be honest… you need to make saving fun! Saving just to save money can get boring after awhile.
Here at Money Bliss, we have plenty of money saving challenges to help you find the perfect one for you.
Today, we are going to bring you a spin of a super popular envelope challenge.
Have you seen the popularity of this money saving challenge take off on TikTok? If not, then you are missing out.
This saving hack has been going viral and does not seem to be going away anytime soon. In fact, more and more variations of the original challenge have sprouted.
In this post, we will break everything you need to know about the 200 day envelope challenge.
What is the 200 Envelope Challenge?
The premise of the 200 envelope saving challenge is a very simple hack to start saving money.
For many people attempting the 100 day challenge, they learned that saving envelopes from 51-100 were more difficult as the dollar amount was harder.
So, here is the 200 envelope challenge spin.
You start off with 200 envelopes. You will label each envelope with the numbers 1 through 50. Repeat this process 4 times.
As such, you will have four envelopes with the same number on them.
Then place all of the envelopes in a special place like a container box, basket, file folder, or bag.
Each day, you will choose a new envelope, and you must put that amount of money in the envelope.
For example, if you draw the number 12, then you would put $12 into that envelope and seal it. Then the next day, if you draw the number 35, you would put $35 into that envelope and seal it. Then, continue this challenge for over 200 days.
And the best part is by the end of the 200 envelope challenge, you have saved $5,100.
Now, after 200 days, I would call saving $5,100 a huge win with saving only $1-$50 per day.
200 Envelope Challenge Chart
How much money do you save with the 200 envelope saving challenge?
You need to the numbers behind everything so you truly understand how the 200 day money challenge is set up.
Let’s break down how the math works with this 200 envelope challenge chart.
At the end of the 200 day money challenge, you will save $5,10!!
Here is the math if you randomly pick an envelope each day:
- Most saved in one week: $200
- Least saved in one week: $4
Even if you do not finish the entire 200 days and quit on day 100, you will save at least $2500. More than likely, it will be a higher amount (unless you are great at just picking numbers under $20).
This challenge is great for somebody who gets paid with cash on a consistent basis, like servers, bartenders, drivers, caddies, etc – any tipped employee.
Advantages of the 200 Day Money Challenge
This is the #1 benefit of the 200 envelope challenge over the 100 day envelope challenge…
It is much easier to save under $50 a day than having to save $51-$100 a day.
You can simply cut out spending purchases to hit your goal.
That is easy.
Plus with the fun saving challenge you walk away with over $5000 saved in less 29 weeks! In just over half of the year, you can save $5k.
If someone said, you would save over $5k in less than 7 months, verall, would you accept the challenge?
That should be a resounding… YES!!
Supplies Needed for the 200 Day Envelope Money Saving Challenge
The supplies needed for the 200 Day Challenge are not complicated and you should have most of them around your house.
- Envelopes – Plain old white envleopes work, but colored envelopes makes everything more fun.
- Sharpie or Marker Pens – You need something to write with in order to keep track of those envelopes.
- Cash – You need to figure out where you have the extra cash to stuff those envelopes. You may need to run to the bank quite a few times.
- Stickers or Rubber Stamps – To make sure you don’t cheat and reopen a finsihed envelope.
- Box or Container – Just make sure you have enough space for your envelopes!
Related Read: Best Cash Envelopes – Pick Your Favorite
Don’t want to make your own? Then, pick up these handmade envelopes from Desire Your Curves. Check out these 200 mini envelopes!
Also, it is super helpful to have a free printable 200 day challenge to keep you accountable! Don’t worry… we have you covered!
At the bottom of the post, you have the opportunity to download a free 200 envelope challenge PDF.
Printable 200 envelope challenge PDF
The 200 Envelope Challenge is a printable tracker chart that you can download and print.
Think of one friend you want to do this challenge with and share this post
The idea of saving over $5000 in less than 7 months is reason to participate in this challenge!
Tracking your progress is very important with any money saving challenge. Plus it is a powerful motivator.
200 Envelope Challenge App – Do It Digital
As of right now, there is no envelope challenge app developed to make this cashless. However, you can do this challenge digitally and we will show you how to do it virtually.
In case you utilize a cashless envelope system, you may be wanting to do this challenge, but are not sure the best way to do it.
Here is how to do the 200 day challenge digitally:
- Instead of using 200 envelopes, you could write on 200 pieces of paper, fold them up, and put them into a bag or box.
- Every day you would draw out a new number (just like the normal challenge).
- Make sure you have a separate savings account for the challenge.
- Instead of placing cash into the envelopes, you will move money from your checking account to that separate savings account.
For example, on the first day, you pull out the number 8. Well, that means you would move $8 from your checking account into your newly open 200 envelope challenge savings account.
You are taking money from your normal spending and moving it away and into a savings account.
That way you are setting aside money, virtually into a different account.
200 Envelope Challenge Variations
Not everyone can complete the 200 envelope saving challenge as we discussed in this post.
Here are some alternatives to make the envelope challenge work for you:
- Pull an envelope weekly instead of daily.
- Save $25 for every envelope.
- Pull 3-4 envelopes a week.
- Save the amount of the envelope $1-200 and save over $20K!
There are many ways you can spin the 200 envelope challenge to work for you!
At the end of the day, the goal is just to save more money.
Many people prefer one of these challenges instead:
- Your 52 Week Money Saving Challenge + Free Printable
- 100 Envelope Challenge – Fun $5050 Money Saving Plan
- 50 Envelope Challenge to Save $1275 and Follow Through!
Ready for the 200 day Envelope Challenge?
All in all, this is the one great thing that social media can offer.
It brought around the envelope challenge as a new spin for you new hack for you to start saving money.
The 200 day envelope challenge is a fun way to kickstart your money saving journey.
The 200 day money envelope challenge is perfect for everyone to complete!
If you are looking for something different, check out one of these…
- 30 Day Money Challenge: How to Make Your Money Work For You
- Save 5000 in a Year with this Easy $5,000 Savings Challenge
- How to Save $10,000 in a Year: Your Simple Guide for Saving Money
If you like the idea of this challenge here are some other money saving challenge ideas that you may enjoy more:
- 20 Simple Money Saving Challenge to Save More in 2022
- Your 52 Week Money Saving Challenge + Free Printable
- These Monthly Money Saving Challenges You Need to Try
- Can you Beat Your Savings Percentage?