This post may contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission at no cost to you. Please read the full disclosure here.
Spring is in the air! I love spring! The fresh air. The warmer days. I always enjoy spring.
With spring comes a fresh perspective, a willingness to dust off the old, and a bounce in our step.
Spring also is associated with spring cleaning for many reasons!
One reason it to deep clean a house with cleaning supplies for the lemon clean smell.
The other big spring cleaning is to get rid of old stuff. Then, you ware let wondering how can I sell my stuff online? It is possible to sell household items quickly? With technology, there has to be websites to sell items online for free, right?
A year ago, I did a MASSIVE spring cleaning! It felt great. We cleared out a lot of items in our house.
I like the idea of minimalism, but as a family with kids; minimalism is hard to implement to the full extent. Interested in learning more about minimalism?
So for now, we are learning to live with less, but I was left with piles of stuff. Stuff to get rid of.
Old stuff I wanted out of my home.
I didn't want these items – some were baby items we didn't need, some were items that we replaced, some were just plain, stupid purchases, others were gifts given to us.
The big question when you are cleaning out old stuff – Should I trash it? Or should I sell it? The decision is up to you. However, it is easier today to sell your old stuff than every before.
Remember…One Man's Trash is Another Man's Treasure.
Did you know it is easy to sell your old stuff and make money? Plus, it isn't that hard.
Related Post: Why It Is Important to Conquer Your Clutter
So, you have spent time cleaning out your stuff.
Now, what to do with all the old stuff you want to get rid of??
What to Do with Old Stuff:
Sell Your Items:
A few different options to get money for your stuff.
- Gazelle – Gazelle buys and sells pre-owned consumer electronics. They pay cash for used smartphones, tablets, laptops and desktops.
- Decluttr – Decluttr is the easiest way to sell your unwanted CDs, DVDs, Games, Books & Tech. Decluttr is free to use and gives you guaranteed cash for your stuff.
- Glyde – Glyde is the easiest way to buy and sell smartphones, tablets, MacBooks, video games, and iPods. Get cash for your gently-used items. They will even take broken items!
Related Post: How to Organize Your Life & Create a Simpler Life
- Swap.com – Swap.com is the world’s largest online consignment store for baby, women's, maternity and kids’ apparel and accessories. They provide the most affordable way to sell the clothes, toys and games you no longer need and acquire the ones that your kids are growing into.
Parents, women and grandparents shopping on Swap.com typically save around 90% off the full retail price of the products they purchase.
- Amazon Seller – It's easy to sell online with Amazon. Put your old stuff in front of hundreds of millions of Amazon customers. Choose to ship your products to Amazon or ship out yourself.
- AbeBooks – Millions of new, used, rare, and out-of-print books are offered for sale through the AbeBooks websites from thousands of booksellers around the world.
- Books-A-Million – They are the second largest bookseller in the United States and a premium collectible toy and gift retailer.
- Craigslist – Just beware of location when buying and selling through Craigslist. A police station is a great meeting point.
Donate Your Items
- Old-Fashion Donation Drop-off – There are many organizations that will take donations of any kind. Be sure to call ahead of time to see what is not allowed. For instance, many places do not take electronics or car seats. Some of the bigger organizations that allow drop off donations include Goodwill, Arc, Salvation Army, and local churches.
- Donation Pick-Up – Many organizations will come pick up your donations. All you have to do is make a call and leave your items on the front porch. Some of the bigger organizations that pick up donations include Salvation Army, Vietnam Veterans of America, or Habitat for Humanity.
- Give Back Box – Reuse your online shipping boxes in which you received your purchases, or any other cardboard box you may have, to donate your unwanted household items: such as gently used clothing, shoes etc., to make a major difference in the life of another person. Go online to get a shipping label and schedule a pickup!
Related Post: The Ultimate Guide to a Frugal Lifestyle
Recycle or Trash Your Items
This is the last option.
Some stuff just is not worth selling or donating.
While we don't want to fill up our landfills, try and recycle the items first. Just remember…one man's trash is another man's treasure.
Related Post: 7 Things to Give UP to Pay Off Debt Faster
Why is it Hard to Get rid of Stuff?
Personally, the hardest part of getting rid of old stuff is realizing how much money was wasted.
It just makes me upset that the money wasn't going towards financial freedom.
Seriously, it drives me nuts.
Also, many items may have special memories to some, but not for you. You need to figure out a middle ground for such stuff.
Instead of getting stuck on those fact, make a plan.
Declutter the house.
Figure out which websites to sell your old stuff online. Move on.
Less stuff will make for a richer life.